Monday, September 27, 2010

Comic Art at Benjamin Franklin Classical Charter School


For the past week or so now I've been teaching a Cartooning Class at the Benjamin Franklin Classical Charter School out in Franklin MA. And the students seem to be enjoying the class.

The past couple weeks I've been trying to get a feel for where their drawing levels are. Most of which have a great deal of talent and it's been a lot of fun to see what they come up with and where they take their projects.

The only thing some of them lack is layout. And that's what I'm going to enforce today. I'm hoping in my master plan for the session is to have the students create projects with a goal of submitting those projects to a company once we have completed the lesson.

A few already have projects they are working on. Which I will encourage them to make their class assignment. What I'll do is give them a list of comic companies that DO accept unsolicited material and have them submit to those companies.

Naturally, I plan on telling the school before I just go ahead and do this. But even if they get the eventual rejection it's a good lesson for them to then re-evaluate their work and see what they need to do do improve it.

And I really don't think they're too young to take a chance like that. I know I was at their age. Even if it ended up being an eventual rejection, I think it's good for them to give it a try.

Also, I'm hoping by giving them this goal it will give them an extra level of pride and care in creating their work as well. But we'll see.

2 comments:

Alison Undercover said...

THAT is the most awesome comic ever. Where did you find it?

Bret M. Herholz said...

I found it on the web. Kool-Aid Man did indeed supply a thirsty Benjamin Franklin with his fruity concoction while he was doing his weather experiment.

It's a historic fact ;-)