Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Star Wars Re-imagined...


The Original Star Wars Trilogy (MY trilogy) is something I don't think anyone can ever remake and have it ever be successful. Even the negative reaction to how George Lucas and company have added the new CGI effects to the films just tells you how much the original trilogy means to people.

No other actor can replace the performances of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia to millions of people. It would be a disaster. People did not connect with the characters of the prequels in that same way. And Ewan McGreagor, Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Lee are all great actors.

However, looking at the Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars concept figures made me think. Even I don't think anyone would ever accept a complete remake or reboot of the Star Wars universe. I certainly wouldn't.

But what if they were to re-imagine the Star Wars inverse using Ralph McQuarrie's concept art in the same way they did with the last Star Trek movie.

Personally, I think J.J. Abrams did a clever thing with that film by creating the whole paralleled universe concept. That way die-hard fans of the classic series do not think he's trying to erase nearly 44 years of Star Trek history. It gives fans a choice of what they want to follow and believe to be "the one true Trek" without diminishing either. A good way of not having fans serve your backside on a platter.

And I think that concept could easily work with Star Wars. I think fans would be more willing to accept a different view rather than a blatant remake. And I think McQuarrie's original concepts are so fascinating that they would look really great as their own parallel universe Star Wars movie.

It's more along the lines of a cross between Issac Asimov (as I mentioned in yesterday's blog post), Flash Gordon and Lord of the Rings. There's just something I find very inviting about the science-fiction of the 1930's and 1940's as well as many of the Ray Harryhausen films. In the age of CGI effect and this push for things to get increasingly more realistic, I miss the stop-motion monsters from those movies. Watching one of Harryhausen's Sinbad movies, I was so taken by the artistic care with the details and moment of those creatures. Sure you can tell they're animated and they look somewhat silly. But the expressions in the face and the mind-numbing amount of time it took to make those creatures move impressed me a lot more than any computer generated monster ever could.

Another thing that intrigues me is his vision for Darth Vader. It's more along the lines of a swashbuckling villain rather than the scarred Sith Lord we have come to know. And the fact that his helmet was merely to breath in space rather than a constant life support.

AND the fact that he flew around in space from ship to ship. I would love to see all that realized.

It would be great if they perhaps found some of the original version of the scripts Lucas wrote for The Star Wars (original working title) and expanded upon them creating a whole new world for these re-imagining of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbacca and a female character merely known as Starkiller. Which I believe was also Luke's original last name before Lucas changed it to Skywalker.

Like I said, as much as I could never replace those original trilogies and the actors who gave those characters life in our imaginations, I would watch the Ralph McQuarrie version of Star Wars if it were presented as a re-imagining than a remake.

2 comments:

Ammathorn said...

thank you for posting this. i used some of it as reference here http://ammathorn.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Vader-Concept-197615100 i stumbled the drawing before in my school. its really nice to see original concept designs.


thorny

Jon said...

I have been thinking this exact same thing the last few days. It would be amazing to see a more exact translation of Maquarrie's art. But you're right, you can't trample on the classic films. Solution? Two words: Animated Reboot. I don't know about redoing the classic trilogy, but I think the prequel trilogy should be redone in a 3D style that is a cross between Maquarrie's art and 'The Clone Wars'. It makes me sad though because it will probably never happen.