
There are some things that should just be left alone. The Bride of Frankenstein is one of them.
There's a difference between a remake and an adaptation. An adaptation is like taking Shelly's original novel Frankenstein and either remaining true to how she originally wrote the story or putting your spin on the tale.
A remake, however, is doing a new version of the 1931 film of Frankenstein with Karloff.
Films like Hammer's The Curse of Frankenstein with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee or Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein film aren't remakes. They're adaptations.
If they took the story from the Karloff film and made the monster (whose name is not Frankenstein, mind you. The Doctor's name is Frankenstein) look blocky with bolts sticking out of it's neck then it would be considered a remake.
Personally, I wish there were more adaptations like Andy Fish's take on Dracula rather than attempting to remake a classic. I cringe at the very thought but suppose it's only a matter of time before Citizen Kane and Duck Soup are remade.
Remember when the Zucker Brothers tried to do a twist on Night at the Opera with Brain Donors? If not, you didn't miss much.
2 comments:
say whaaaat?!
That's EXACTLY what I said. I had to blink twice just to make sure I was reading it right ;-)
Post a Comment