Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cover art

I just finished penciling and inking the cover for Romance with a Croquet Mallet last night. In the past I've kind of waited until I was finished with the pages to do the cover and everytime I'm tired from the pages so the cover never turns out as well as it should.

So, this time I decided to take a break from working on the pages (ten pages in the can thus far) and get the cover done while I still felt fresh.

This is the first time I've don a cover on Canson's Comic Art Cover Sheets. And much like their Comic Art Pages, I'm very impressed with how great they are to work on. Especially inking. I've always liked working on Canson's smooth bristol board to begin with when I'm working on my illustration work, but I feel their comic board is a must have for any young artist out there.

This is also the first project I've done completely in Deleter #3 Black Drawing Ink. I started inking the Sherlock Holmes book in Windsor Newton for the first several pages and the last half of the book I inked in Deleter. Ever since Andy introduced me to the ink I've been very impressed with how much richer the pigments are AND how quickly it dries.

I have very little patience so waiting for a page to dry is about as much fun as...

...well...

waiting for paint to dry.

But as for the cover. I will be certain to post it once I have it colored. Penguin put out a series of PG Wodehouse books with this very flat designy artwork. And the cover coloring is exactly what I have in mind for the book.

No comments: