Saturday, April 10, 2010

Family, classes, catching Rori live, catching a cold, Doctor Who and everything else in between...


Well, the last week came and went way too quickly for me. It usually does when my Aunt Mary, Uncle Steve and cousin Jae come out to visit from California. They're great people and always a lot of fun to be around. There's a good 18 or so year between my cousin Jae and I but we can still have some great conversations about movies. Especially superhero movies like the last Batman film and Iron Man.

Some weeks you just can't wait to be over. But this was one of those weeks you wish you could just bottle so you can take it out on a rainy day.

Now I'm back to work and I have a nice new cold to start off my Saturday class. Which I'm somewhat grateful that I didn't catch a cold during their visit. I would have been MORE grateful if I didn't catch a cold at all. But nonetheless, I'm once again coming down with one and I would much rather have it happen now than when I was having fun with family and friends.

Actually, last week was pretty much a great week all around. Which had me getting to see my best friend on the entire planet Rori playing live at the Webster Underground down in Hartford Connecticut. I was also thrilled to have some really good friend come down and check out the show with me. That meant a lot.

It was good to see Rori again. I suppose if I were to ever have a long lost twin, it would most likely be Rori... or perhaps my second cousin Christine Herholz.

But despite coming off knee surgery a few months before this, Rori yet again rocked. And if you didn't happen to check out the show, you missed out.

Now after probably one of the nicest and most pleasant weeks I have enjoyed in some time both with the quality of the people I have shared it and the quality of the weather, it's back to planet Earth. And apart from the cold, it hasn't been that bad.

I've enjoyed both the last two episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold AND I've been checking out Matt Smith's long anticipated debut as the Doctor in Doctor Who.

The Power of Shazam episode which featured Batman teaming up with Captain Marvel was really great and the last episode which once again delved into the events which made Bruce Wayne become Batman was great!!

What I liked about it is it brought back the whole Lew Moxon element behind Bruce Wayne's parent's murder. The original story had readers find out that Joe Chill didn't act alone when he killed Thomas and Martha Wayne. But was a hired gun for Lew Moxon who made it look like a robbery but was sent to rub out Thomas Wayne for getting Lew Moxon arrested at a costume party.

What made the episode even better for a Batman fan is the fact they had Batmand and Catwoman themselves Adam West and Julie Newmar as Thomas and Martha Wayne.

A really fun episode if you get the chance to see it.

I've also had the chance to catch the first two episodes The Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below of Doctor Who on Youtube since the series won't debut on BBCAmerica till next week.

I've been pleasantly surprised. It was kind of difficult to see David Tennant go. He had done such a good job carrying that series. Especially after the previous actor Christopher Eccleston left the show after just one series.

I wasn't sure about Matt Smith at first. At 26, he's the youngest actor to play the part. But then again, there was the same question when Peter Davison who was 29 at the time he took over the role from Tom Baker if the show would last. Which it did.

But I've been enjoying what I've seen both with Matt Smith's performance as the Doctor and the quality of the writing in two episodes I've seen thus far. And even the revised "into the mist and mystery" new opening credits is starting to grow on me.

For me, the episodes seem very similar to what the production team wanted to do with Sylvester McCoy's Doctor in his last season as the Doctor. Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor is not dark and manipulative as the Seventh Doctor. But there is a bit of that gothic horror quality of episodes like The Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light.

But Steven Moffatt has made it clear that he wants this to be a family event. So, it's not so dark you can't find the way home. And I think some of the best Doctor Who is like that. And many of the episodes Moffatt wrote during Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant's tenure as the Doctor were very much like this.

You had these very creepy tales like The Empty Child which in the end you find out it's just a frightened little boy looking for his Mummy.

And not only that, much like Russell T. Davies time producing Doctor Who, Steven Moffatt seems to be surrounding himself with really great writers.

One of which, for my comic buddies, will be a tale penned by Neil Gaiman next year.

Well, I've gone on for way too long. Time to take some Tylenol Cold and get ready for bed. I hope you all had a great week as well.

No comments: