Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wormtown Brewery

Beer is probably my Achilles Heel. Okay!! Beer, Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, Monty Python and movies starring the Marx Brothers ;-)

But I do like a nice pint either with my meal or out with friends. I think a drink (wine, whisky ect) adds to the ambiance and enhances the conversation.

I enjoy microbrews in particular. For those unfamiliar, microbrews are small local companies not owned by Budweiser or Coors. Most States have their little microbrews. Actually, quite a few restaurants brew their own beers as well. And if a restaurant you go to offers a house ale I highly recommend you try it. I think you might be pleasantly surprised with the quality. And it's probably going to be better than that Michelob Ultra you were going to order.

Well, I had heard about a month or so back about the Wormtown Brewery located right here in Worcester, Massachusetts. I come to find out that the brewery is located right inside of Peppercorns Bar and Grille on Park Avenue. I had thought about going to a release party for a new beer they were unveiling but since I really don't like crowds, I decided to stay away.

I could only imagine a fleet of State Police waiting in the Honey Farms parking lot next to Peppercorns for people to leave.

But I always love trying something new so I went out one Friday night only to find that the place was packed!! And I mean PACKED!! So, that ended the possibility that night.

So, last night when I was out with Sydney I asked if she wanted to stop for a drink at Peppercorns. She was up for it so as we were getting to the stop light I come to see that there is plenty of parking that night. So, in we go.

I ordered their Be Happy IPA. An IPA is short for India Pale Ale. The type of Ale developed by the British to ship down to their troops in India. The way it was brewed would last the trip down.

This happens to be one of my favorite Summer beers.

So, I try it and I really like it!! The Wachusett IPA is still my favorite, but Wormtown has made a might fine one too.

Wormtown has named most of their beers for certain things famous in Worcester.

The Be Happy IPA is of course named for Harvey Ball's famous creation the Smiley Face. Worcester's Bravest Ale named for the Firefighters who gave their lives to put out the warehouse fire back in 1999. Seven Hills Ale is named for Worcester's nickname City of the Seven Hills. And the Turtle Boy Blueberry Ale named for Worcester most famous sculpture depicting a boy's love for a turtle.

I admit that I didn't try them all that night. And I probably won't try the Turtleboy because I don't like Blueberry Ale or beer with a fruity taste. But I was mighty impressed with the IPA I sampled.

If you want to check out the site and see the beers in more detail click on the link below. I also highly recommend going down to Peppercorns and trying them out for yourself:

No comments: