Monday, October 11, 2010

I got engaged!!

Yesterday was actually a busy day for weddings and engagements apparently. Actually, this whole year has has been pretty busy in at least the engagement department in my family alone.

Let's back this up to August. My cousin Jessica's boyfriend Keith proposed to her at a family gathering we had. About maybe a week or so later, my cousin Jared proposed to his girlfriend Alicia on the beach in Cape Cod. Yesterday my good friends Veronica and Andy tied the knot in a beach ceremony and I believe are heading to Japan as we speak. Also yesterday my parent's friend's son Jimmy proposed to his girlfriend on a hilltop.

And last night SO DID I!

Yes. I'm wearing a Tom Servo t-shirt with the words "I'm Huge!" on it in that picture ;-)

Last night after a great breakfast at Julien's, a book signing at Double Midnight Comics and a really nice dinner at a cute little Indian Restaurant followed by a long (and at times harrowing) trip back from Manchester New Hampshire I asked Sydney to marry me.

And the best part is she said YES!!

It was pretty eerily similar to when my folks got engaged. Nothing fancy. And I don't think it has to be. But I'm not dissing anyone who has gotten down on one knee or proposed to someone in a place that has significant meaning to you.

There is nothing wrong with that.

But my feeling is this. What makes the moment special is you're with the person that you love. And as cliche and corny as this sounds, she's more than I could have ever asked for. She is the kindest, funniest most sympathetic person I have ever met. And we have so much fun when we're together.

On a side note to anyone planning my bachelor party. There will be NO bachelor party. I hate bachelor parties and think they are stupid. I don't see the need for "One last fling". I feel like that's insensitive to the person you're going to marry. I'm going to marry the most wonderful woman in the world. I don't NEED a "One last fling".

A night out for dinner and drinks with friends is fine. Take me out to a favorite restaurant in Northampton for the night for some food and laughs as well as chatting about old times. But that's it! I DON'T want a bachelor party.

It was funny to come home later and find that someone else I knew (Jimmy as mentioned above) proposed to their girlfriend. Already knowing that two good friends of mine (Veronica and Andy Fish) had just tied the not six or seven hours earlier.

I don't know if there's anything historically significant about October 10th as far as weddings and proposals are concerned. But the day is pretty darn special for me now.

Then again, I think 2010 alone is pretty darn special for me now :-)

2 comments:

Tracy Novick said...

Congratulations to you both!

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thank you Tracy :-)