Saturday, November 27, 2010

The acting range of Jack Black

I really don't hide the fact that I cannot stand Jack Black. I just don't care for his movies. He really annoyed me in High Fidelity, Orange County or Saving Silverman. Although I have to admit, I did tolerate him in Anchor Man. But I think that's because he was on screen all of 15 seconds or less.

Needless to say, I was almost horrified to discover they had entertained the thought of casting him as the Green Lantern. Just for a moment, try and imagine JB trying to squeeze into that form fitting costume they have Ryan Reynolds wearing in the movie.

Okay, you can go wash your brain out with bleach now.

I had set up an easy to follow up guide below to show the wide depth and range of Jack Black's different facial expressions. Enjoy:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has the acting chops of Kevin Costner or a cardboard cutout of him, hard to tell the two apart.

I really hate all of these actors who are just the same all the time. One of the reasons Scott Pilgrim tanked is that people are just sick of Michael Cera's schtick.

The second Jack Black was cast in Peter Jackson's KING KONG (the original is one of my favorite movies of all time) I knew it would be a train wreck. I was not disappointed and in fact I fell asleep during the movie at the theater.

I'm not loving Ryan Reynold's either-- at least he looks the part but there's not a lot of range with him either. Honestly, I think Jack Black would have been a better choice since then I definitely wouldn't bother seeing it.

It shows producers still don't respect the medium despite the Oscar for THE DARK KNIGHT. A comic book movie is still considered sub-genre fodder.

I don't know Bret, maybe we should just get a pair of rocking chairs and throw rocks at the neighborhood kids for playing on our lawn and grown how they don't make movies like they used to.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I'm way ahead of ya!! I just bought the rocking chairs and the bee bee guns yesterday ;-)