The last time I actually drove down Green Street was about 10 or 11 years ago. And it was as a passenger. And it was not pretty. And neither was the Lucky Dog at the time I went.
I know talking with my Dad who remembers a time in the 1950's and 1960's Green Street used to be a nice area and it's a shame that it got to the point that it did. And he's right. I hate to sound mean, but the last time I was there, Green Street was pretty much a slum. And there are still areas on Green Street that were still pretty rough.
But I have found my second trip to what is being referred to as the Canal District for the Spring Edition of stART on the Street to be a bit better than my first trip. It seems as though there are people that are making an honest effort to revitalize the area with a few nice restaurants and businesses.
As for this year's Spring stART, it was also a vast improvement over last year's event. Despite some shortcomings as mentioned above, Green Street was the ideal area for the venue. We had the option of either setting up either on the street itself or setting up in one of the parking lots. Syd and I decided we wanted to set up in what I referred to as the Derek Ring Lot. Named because famed Illustrator Derek Ring had set up shop there.
Despite being slightly off the beating path, as far as room and being able to set up is concerned, it was the ideal place. Syd and I also decided it was time to invest in a tent. Which given how really hot it was on Sunday, we spent the rest of the day feeling very pleased with our purchase. If we had been in the direct sun all day we would have felt a lot worse.
The only complaint I heard from people attending stART was parking. But given this is a new location this year, I know the people involved in stART will probably have all that ironed out and improved next year.
However, I have nothing but great things to say about this year's Spring stART on the Street. For one thing, the rain date actually ended up being a blessing. The weather on Sunday was much better than the previous week. And despite said rain date, the show itself seemed to be well attended.
Both Syd and I did very well with our sales. This was Syd's first show as a vendor and people took a great interest in her Vinyl household items. Her bracelets and jewelry were probably her biggest sellers. And she had one business card left when we were packing up.
But I hope stART does their Spring Show on Green Street next year. I thought as far as room was concerned, it was actually better space-wise than even their Fall Show on Park Avenue. And that's saying a lot considering that the Fall Show is their most successful event.
But much like the Fall Show has planted roots on Park Ave, I think the Spring Show might have finally found a place to plant roots and create their own identity on Green Street.
If you missed it this year, hopefully you will check out stART in Spring next year.

2 comments:
Glad it was a success!
Thank you kindly, Veronica :-)
Post a Comment