Thursday, December 5, 2013

Those Dear Dead Days: Stoney O'Briens

 Artist Travis Simpkins pointed out that the establishment currently known as Nick's was formerly Stoney O'Briens. Which was basically one of many countless dive bars in Worcester at that time.
 
I thought after Travis's revelation about Nick's former life I'd do a little web snooping and the photo above is what I found of Stoney's.
 
To quote local Scallywag Jon Hansen: "What a dump!"
 
After Stoney's closed down, Nicole and Vincent bought the building. They cleaned it up and rechristened the establishment NICK'S. And as you can see below, its a vast improvement over the previous "dump".
 
 
Not only that, but Nicole runs a classy establishment that hosts unique performances. Including my own staging of a Sherlock Holmes play last may.
 
Millbury Street has always been a bit on the rougher side. However, even my folks who are long time residents couldn't help commenting that the area had improved considerably since the last time they were down there.
 
It says a lot on how adding a touch of class like a place like Nick's can improve an area.
 
 
 

No comments: