Sunday, November 9, 2014

Bill Watterson

 
It's been almost 20 years since Bill Watterson decided to cease publication on his beloved comic strip CALVIN AND HOBBES. I feel like Watterson created the last quality newspaper comic strip. I suppose that  statement is debatable. However, that's the way I felt and still feel. It was well drawn. It was well written. And it made me laugh. Three important elements when you are creating something that is SUPPOSED TO BE funny. And which is not always the case in many strips.
 
Watterson was basically king of the world during that time. He even pushed to have a full page for his Sunday strip so the quality wouldn't suffer. And he got his way! Which earned the ire of fellow creators such as Bill Keane of Family Circus.
 
I shouldn't speak ill of the dead (but I will anyways) but Calvin and Hobbes is a better strip than Family Circus ever was. Besides, why need extra space to have Billy running around in his little dotted path around the house and backyard to whatever crap he was supposed to be doing. Or a comic drawn by Billy (eternally age 7) because Bill Keane took the day off to shotgun a 40 of Old English with Jim Davis and Cathy Guisewite.
 
It was a surprise to everyone when Bill Watterson decided to bring his comic to an end on December 31st 1995. A decision that more than irritated many people. Although possibly not Bill Keane who I hear was nursing a hangover from a night of beer pong and jello shooters with Andy Capp creator Reg Smythe from the rumor I just made up now.
 
I actually respect Watterson for his decision. Sometimes it's good to end something while people still miss it rather than when you've rehashed the same joke like so many comics that came before Calvin and Hobbes.
 
At the time he stated his interests had shifted in a different direction. And I respect that too. I think it would be a greater tragedy to have had him continue to create Calvin and Hobbes strips only to resent the very characters he created.
 
Not to mention characters who are STILL beloved by millions. Not bad for a guy who made a decision NOT TO merchandise his characters in any way.
 
Which made Bill Watterson's new strip such a welcomed sight for me. He has done very little comic work since the end of Calvin and Hobbes seeing his latest strip was delightful in its simplicity. It reminded me very much of George Herriman's Krazy Kat stylistically. But it was so recognizably Bill Watterson.
 
I'm not sure if this is heralding a series of new comics for Bill Watterson. If not, it's still good to have this one.

1 comment:

Brian Nelson said...

He and Richard Thompson, who drew CUL DE SAC (can't praise this strip enough, check it out at once) were the two best things to happen to the funnies in recent years. Thank the gods for Mark Tatulli and LIO/HEART OF THE CITY (T&G, are you listenin'?)!