Thursday, November 13, 2008

The never-ending battle...



Well, this graphic novel is shaping up to be my longest project to date. Most of my past project have been in between the range of 8 to 80 pages total. For me, my first big milestone was reaching page 24 of Diary of the Black Widow. Before that, I had the difficulty of getting past page 10 of a project before I started to lose steam.

I just started laying out page 87 of my Sherlock Holmes graphic novel. Which officially makes it my longest graphic novel project to date.

I suppose it's a milestone of sorts. It means I've reached a point in my career as a professional artist where I can do a project and see it through to the very end. And it's not something I've done alone. I have a lot of people in my professional life that have helped me along in my own maturity. Of sorts.

But I'm very happy with the progress and growing impatient at the same time. I tend to get like that nearing the end of a project anyways. But this one is probably moreso because I took on a pretty tall task.

And I've had a lot of good things happening in my life of late that have really inspired me and have pushed me to do even better work.

The most important being the lovely Trina who constantly inspires me and is the inspiration for many of my loveliest characters. And no. She is not the Black Widow. But she is Stone-Toe Maiden for those of you out there who are curious about just who she was based on. And she has appeared in countless other illustrations. You have to look closely.

And believe me. My paltry scribblings DO NOT do her justice. I could never capture just how pretty she is in person.

So, for those of you who see me on a daily basis and are wondering "What is he so happy about" and why I have such a spring in my step.

Well, she's the reason!!

No comments: