Yesterday wasn't bad. Today was abysmal. But honestly, I'm comparing apples and oranges because yesterday I was working with 8 to 10 year olds and today was 5 to 7 year olds.
I had two kids start crying and one kid was an insufferable obnoxious brat the whole time who just wanted to screw around and pretty much be the center of attention. So, I just gave him some paint so he can pretty much vomit on the poster board with it.
What always gets me about these weeks is the parents who get pissed off over the fact that the kid either didn't do any work or the fact after two or three hours didn't come out with a finished piece. Honestly!! Give me a freakin' break!! You paid $20 for this class!! $20!!!!
And a lot of these times the reason the kid gets frustrated and cries is because the parent has put so much pressure on the poor kid that he or she is a complete basket case by the time I take them into the studio because they think I'm going to start acting like the school master from Pink Floyd the Wall because they can't draw or are having a tough time thinking about something.
Really people!! STOP IT!! This class was meant to be a fun activity for the kids to do. But at least I won't have to pay your child's psychiatric bills later in life because you've given them such an inferiority complex just because they didn't draw something Museum quality in a class called POSTER POWER!! And oh by the way!! THEY'RE 5 TO 7 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!
It is NOT fun for me have to play Dr. Phil because you have put such high expectations on your poor kid!! Did I mention that you paid $20!!!
$20 is a drop in the ocean.
Thankfully, I've learned to escape relatively undetected and avoid any nasty confrontations with any potentially angry parents.
I was definitely kind of glad my second class was cancelled. Although it was with older students. Unfortunately, even though it was for computer I had my doubts going into the session that 14 to 17 year olds would have any interest in Poster Power. Perhaps if they had added elements of comic art into the class. But I feel the whole concept probably wasn't going to draw any teenagers into the class. Oh well.
Well, one more day to go. Thankfully, this time it is with older students.
No comments:
Post a Comment