Friday, December 18, 2009

Tops on my holiday wish list: Sherlock Holmes starring Peter Cushing


This will probably be my gift to me this Christmas. Or at least my post-Christmas gift to me!!

I've been waiting for the BBC to release the Sherlock Holmes television series Peter Cushing starred in after taking over the title role from Douglas Wilmer in 1968.

From what I have seen online, it has become my second favorite Sherlock Holmes series next to the one Jeremy Brett starred in for Granada Television. And for a lot of the same reasons as the Granada series such as the costumes and the actor playing the title role. I like Cushings sharp, energetic and occasionally rude take on Sherlock Holmes. Which is very much the way the character was written in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story.

Although, he doesn't have that maniac spark that I really liked about Jeremy Brett's take on Holmes. At the same time that's the reason I liked Cushing's Holmes.

Much like Basil Rathbone, Douglas Wilmer, Robert Stephens and much later Jeremy Brett, I like seeing people's approach to the character. In the same way as Doctor Who or James Bond, each actor brings something different to the table. And much like both of those series's, it's inevitable you have your favorites. And Peter Cushing and Jeremy Brett are definitely mine.

What delights me even more is to find out that there WAS a proper adaptation to A STUDY IN SCARLET. Although, there are a few deviations from the original story, this one sticks pretty close to the original text. I thought the only adaptation was a 1930's starring a rather portly Reginald Owens as Sherlock Holmes, which had very little in common with the story except for sharing the same name.

4 comments:

Tanner said...

The Cushing Holmses are great! I've had the Region 2 set for a few years now and I'm really glad A&E is putting it out here in America. It's SUCH a shame, though, that so many of them were destroyed! What a terrible practice that tape "wiping" was. So we only have six out of sixteen Cushing Holmes episodes.

You should definitely try to track down the Russian series, Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. There are several versions on Amazon, all unfortunately pricy, but totally worth it. I found a full set of the Region 1 discs with English subtitles for $50 and it's the greatest investment I made all year! I'm a fan of all the different takes on Holmes you mention, with Rathbone and Cushing at the top of my list, but the Russian Holmes has quickly shot up there too. Both lead actors are great, but I think the Watson might be my very favorite Watson ever. There is a straightforward adaptation of A Study In Scarlet in this series as well, including the first meeting of Holmes and Watson. They don't really focus much on the lengthy Utah flashback though. (Supposedly there is a 1914 silent version that does, but I haven't been able to find it.)

Anyway, I just discovered this blog through your graphic novel based on the Gilette play. I received it from Amazon today and can't wait to dig in! I love that you used Gilette Castle as a reference. That's near where I grew up, and I just visited it again when I was back visiting in the fall. You should try to arrange to have this sold in the gift shop there if it's not already!

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thank you Tanner!! Gillette Castle was such an amazing place. And I only felt it was fitting to use the castle as well as elements from the play like the costume he wore as Holmes in tribute.

It's a funny thing, I had actually thought about contacting them about it to see how they feel about doing that. I might do that :-)

Anonymous said...

I second Tanner's recommendation for the Russian Holmes series. It really is excellent, and one of the few times that the performance of Watson overshadows the performance of Holmes.

I also recommend the BBC radio version of a Study in Scarlet with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams. An wonderful adaptation.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I have seen the Russian series and you're both right. It's very well done. It's strange to hear Sherlock Holmes being done in a different accent. But that's not a bad thing. And it's certainly a lot better than those awful American overdubs on The Deadly Necklace.

I've heard the radio series with Clive Merrison and I really like it!! And their interpretation of A Study in Scarlet is really well done.