
I confess I never went to the Red Baron when it was opened. According to Rob, who just reopened it under the name Jak's Pub, the last guy who owned it basically ran the place into the ground. It was dirty and there were people doing drugs and O.D.ing in the bathroom.
Apart from the drug use, his story seemed pretty similar to what Niki Brouillette went through opening up Beatnik's and cleaning up the mess the previous dive Blenders left. And they did an amazing job cleaning it up and making it for my money one of the best places to hang out with friends and chill in Worcester.
Rob is hoping to do the same thing with Jak's. Like I said, I've never been in the Red Baron. But what I've seen of Jak's so far it's a really nice place. What impressed me when I first walked through the door was 1.) How friendly Rob, Mat and the entire staff are at welcoming new guest and 2.) Rob likes to play the blues on the CD Player.
I was actually contacted by Matt who works the bar and does a great deal of the online promoting at Jak's to display my artwork on their walls. I had been recommended to them by my buddy Andy Fish. I promised to go down and check them out the following Tuesday when I got the message.
Of course three or four weeks after I was supposed to meet with them I realized I had completely forgot.
But luckily Sydney was working a show for Borders at the Hanover Theatre right across from Jak's that night and I thought it would be a great opportunity to check it out, introduce myself and apologize for making such a bone-headed mistake.
They were all really nice about it and Rob and I worked out a plan to get my work in there. We decided this section of wall that has a wooden finish would be the perfect backdrop for my art. So, I went down yesterday and hung up several of my pieces. And as we thought, it looked great against the wooden wall.
So, now that it's all hung up (all I have to do is hang price cards) I'm having a bit of an impromptu opening for my work this coming Friday night starting at 6pm. Some of it is to give my work exposure. And the other half is to get my friends and everyone else to check out all the hard work Rob and company have done fixing up the place and making Jak's a really great little place. And giving people another place in Worcester to hang out and have a drink.
Even though they don't serve food, you can order a meal and have it sent to you from the Theatre Cafe right across the street. I had a BLT from there last Saturday and it was great!!
But Jak's is located on 536 Main Street in Worcester, MA. Diagonal of the Hanover Theater which I think has done a great job making that area a more enjoyable place to be. And now patrons of the Hanover have a nice cozy pub to enjoy a drink before or after the show.
Even if you're unable to make my event Friday (although I hope you do) I highly recommend you all check Jak's out and give your support to a really great place!!
2 comments:
Can't make it 'cause I have a class-- but good luck with it! I agree they are nice guys.
Definitely!! I've been very impressed with what they've done to the place :-)
Post a Comment