
I'm pretty gobsmacked (I think that's probably the best way I can put it) that stART on the Street is nearly upon us once again. It just seemed like this whole year has really gone into hyperdrive or someone hit the Improbability Drive because here we are in September with stART less than FIVE DAYS AWAY!!
Then again, I suppose I've had enough going on this year that made the whole thing fly by.
But here we are. Another year and another stART!! It the show I look forward to most every year as far as the art shows and festivals go in Worcester. And there are quite a few really great shows either taking place or starting up in the area that people should take part in.
But I still have a soft spot for stART. I've been doing the Fall show since they started hosting it on Park Ave in 2006. I think it was 2006 at least. And it seems like every year the people involved in putting stART together always go far beyond what they do the previous year. And every year the show just seems to get better not only with making the show a great deal of fun for the general public.
But also how user friendly and helpful they have been to all the vendors (including myself) who take part in the show every year. If something doesn't work with arrival procedures and set up the year before, they go out of their way to make it as organized and pain-free as possible the following year.
If you're a young artist who is really looking to get his work out to a larger audience I highly encourage you to take part in as many local shows like stART or Indie Art Market at Beatnik's as possible.
I mean, even if it's a Craft Fair at your local Church don't look down your nose at that. It's exposure for your work that as a young artist you can use to your advantage.
Don't get me wrong. Personal websites, Facebook, Twitter and web blogs are all fine and dandy with getting your work out there. It's a marketing tool so use it for all it's worth.
However, the only way you will ever get people to really care and interested in your work they need to get to know the face behind the art. And these shows are your best bet at doing so.
The only way you are going to build a fanbase (at the loss of a better word) is to get out there and become your own advocate. As much as you are an artist you must also consider yourself a small business as well. This way you show there is a pulse behind the art. You are selling both your art and yourself to the people.
And don't sell yourself short. The worst thing you do is give people the impression that you think your work is not that great. At the same time, I suppose don't get an over-inflated ego over your work.
But you can give the impression that you enjoy what you do. Just because a few people may not like your work doesn't mean everyone hates it. The best advice I was ever given as a young artist was by a fellow local artist Don Cadoret who told me "There's an audience for everyone".
And doing a show like stART on the Street is a good way of finding that audience and getting people to know you a bit better. From there you can not only build a fanbase but also build a list of clients who might take an interest in regularly buying your work and maybe contacting you for commissions.
You'll never know until you take a chance.
And as I say every year, if you have one or two bad shows don't write the event off as a waste of time. If you make back on what you spent for the table that's a good... um... stART.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Keep trying and don't give up. The only way you're going to be able to make a name for yourself is getting out there and promoting yourself through these events. Many of my fellow artists who happen to work in comics and illustrations like Derek Ring, Alison Cowell, Veronica Fish, Brian Nelson and Bob Noberini have done these shows in the past and have had some very successful shows.
So, if you're new to the event and happen to walk by my table, stop by and chat. I hope to see you all there.
No comments:
Post a Comment