Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (2011)


Syd and I decided to make Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows our date night movie last night. Along with some fine dining at the food court.

Although, I am still not won over with Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes. He's a favorite actor of mine. But I'm still not won over. And I found some of the matrix style filming to be a bit on the jarring side. However, I have to confess I found I enjoyed the latest Sherlock Holmes movie a lot more than I expected.

Syd even caught me red handed chuckling at scenes. It's a fair cop.

There was quite a bit of the new movie to like.

Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams) possibly my least favorite character from the last film barely appears in it. So, that was nice. Jude Law, who I felt was the brightest spot in the last film as Dr. Watson, was back in this film. Stephen Fry (seen above) was really born to play Sherlock Holmes's clever (but lazier) older brother Mycroft.

Possibly the biggest pleasant surprise in the new film was Jared "Son of the late Richard" Harris as Professor Moriarty.

I had only seen the junior Harris in one other production and that was a VH1 made for television movie as John Lennon. And it was terrible.

However, I thought he did a really great job as Holmes's "Napoleon of Crime". I enjoyed his performance much better than the "Jim" Moriarty portrayed in the series Sherlock. The only low point of an otherwise brilliant series.

Could have done without the beard. But I kind of wonder if that was a nod to George Zucco in the Basil Rathbone film The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Although, a bit ramped up for a modern audience and some of the facts are a bit jumbled around, I was impressed with how much information Guy Ritchie and co. added from the canon.

If you go into the film to nitpick it, you won't enjoy it. But if you go in with the open mind simply to be entertained, then you might be pleasantly surprised as I was.

No comments: