Monday, July 30, 2012

Sneak Peek at the Casque of Amontillado


Here are the first three pages of The Casque of Amontillado. A graphic novel I have been working on between projects since March.

I wanted to do a different version of Poe's tale utilizing two things that have fascinated me over the past several years. One of which being the Capuchin Catacombs in Rome and the other being the Catrina's and the Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico.

Since Amontillado is set during both a city-wide celebration and deep within underground vaults I thought both elements would be suitable for my version of the tale.

The mask Fortunato is wearing in the first panel is actually based on gravestone art. In particular the art found at the top of colonial gravestones. I had thought about having him wearing make-up but I decided I would have him wear a removable mask. And I thought the looks of the winged skulls found on those particular gravestones fit the feel of the story. Just sans wings.

Right now I'm in the computer graphics phase of the project as well as in the process of touching things up as well. So I'm hoping to have everything ready by the end of August at the latest.

So par usual, I will announce the books release on this blog. Stay tuned!!

No comments: