Thursday, November 7, 2013

Beetlejuice 2. And no. It won't star Robyn Thicke...

According to Michael Keaton, they've been given the greenlight to make BEETLEJUICE 2. What this means is that they have the go ahead to make the movie. That doesn't necessarily mean that they WILL make the movie. They've been talking Beetlejuice sequel since the movie came out in 1988.

To be honest, my feelings are mixed. Visually, I thought the original was a great movie. However, it was a movie I didn't necessarily enjoy. My biggest problem at the time (and still is) was the fact that title character played by the aformentioned Michael Keaton barely appears in the film. However, he stole the show in the scenes he appeared in.

I also found myself at the time very disturbed by some of the "deaths" portrayed during the Maitlands tour of the afterlife. I was just too young at the the time to really understand the jokes such as the "recently exorcized". Again, too young to appreciate the humor.

Like I mentioned, having the greenlight doesn't mean the movie will be made. They may talk about it for a year or so and then the movie ends up dying a slow death in pre-production hell. And much like previous attempts at a sequel, it never comes to fruition.

Personally, I think they should go with their original idea of BEETLEJUICE GOES HAWAIIAN. Tim Burton's concept was beach movie meets German Expressionism. To give you a better idea take BEACH BLANKET BINGO...

Now add THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI...

And there you go.

The story followed the Deetz family moving to Hawaii, where Charles is developing a resort. They soon discover that his company is building on the burial ground of an ancient Hawaiian Kahuna. The spirit comes back from the afterlife to cause trouble, and Beetlejuice becomes a hero by winning a surf contest with magic.

Seeing the time that has gone by since the first film, I'm sure changes could easily be made. Instead of having Charles Deetz developing the resort, having an adult Lydia Deetz now running her father's business. You could either have her married with a family, single mother or never married. Thinking Beetlejuice is long since out of her life, he suddenly reappears after all this time. If they were to make Lydia older and long since ditched the Robert Smith look from the first film, they could introduce a pre-teen daughter who dresses not unlike the way her Mum did in the first film who meets Beetlejuice much to Lydia's chagrin... or something.

Sure, if they were to produce that storyline it might end up being a complete and utter train-wreck. But it would be a train-wreck I wouldn't mind seeing just because I'd love to see beach movie meets German Expressionism.

However, something tells me if Beetlejuice 2 does see the light of day, it will be an all new story that will reintroduce the character to a new audience.

That is, if it is ever made.


If you say BEETLEJUICE three times, Robyn Thicke will appear. So DON'T say it... EVER!!


No comments: