Saturday, November 9, 2013

Confessions of Dorian Gray... THIS would make a great television series.

Sadly, this is an audio series that I admit I have not listened to. But I really like the concept. Big Finish Productions in England has been producing a range of Doctor Who audio plays since 1999. All of which feature the original actors who portrayed the Doctor on television who are still alive. All of which were very well written and well acted stories.

Big Finish had also developed stories based on Dark Shadows (long before the Tim Burton film), Sherlock Holmes and most recently some audio plays based on lost television stories from early on in the hit series THE AVENGERS.

But their most recent series THE CONFESSION OF DORIAN GRAY is the one I find most interesting. Like I mentioned, I haven't heard the series, but I think the premise of the series is great.

One that I would love to see developed into a television series.

The premise is that Oscar Wilde based Dorian Gray on a real person and everything in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY was true. However, the resolution at the end of the story didn't necessarily happen that way.

The series stars Alexander Vlahos as the ageless Dorian Gray and follows his adventures throughout the 20th Century starting with visiting his old friend Oscar Wilde on his deathbed.

If I were a television exec at CBS, I would be in contact with Nicholas Briggs and the boys and girls at Big Finish about developing this into a television series rather than capitalizing on an already successful show the way they did with "basing" Elementary on the far superior Sherlock.

I mean, Fox seems to be having a certain amount of success with Sleepy Hollow and ABC has had success with their series Once Upon A Time.

But I suppose it's easier to ride on the coat-tails of another series's success rather than being original and taking a risk.

Still, I think Big Finish has created a really great concept. I would love to see it as a television series.

No comments: