Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Next Installment of Star Wars... or No Galaxy for Old Men?


Mark Hamill actually made a damn good villain in last seasons finale of Criminal Minds
 I'll be honest. A combination of the "expanded universe" and George Lucas has kind of ruined Star Wars for me over the years. Loved the Thrawn Trilogy when it first came out. Not so much anything else. Lucas's endless tinkering with the original trilogy as well as how terrible the Prequels turned out due to some of the decisions he made just soured me.

I bought the original versions of episodes four through six on DVD several years back. And honestly. I don't give a flying truck if they're copied from a laserdisc version, THOSE are the ones I choose to watch.

However, it looks like GL will have very little involvement with the next set of Star Wars films. I have not seen JJ Abrams and company's two Star Trek films. So, I have no opinion on that subject.

But with names like Gary Oldman and Benedict Cumberbatch potentially linked to the project as well as a production teams whose names are not George or Lucas, I'm willing to give the next installment of Star Wars a chance.

There! I said it!

1 comment:

Comicbookrehab said...

I've heard Lawrence Kasdan is involved with the script rewrites.

There's also a rumor that the "Expanded Universe" novels and comics will be ignored completely, which has a lot of fans dropping bricks and looking forlorn at their bookshelves of SW books they had hoarded, even though there was a light friendly message of sorts that none of that stuff was set in stone or became law - the only element lifted from the books was the planet Coruscant - just because George needed a name and saw it was established.

Regarding casting...I only had Dana Delany in mind for the role of Mara Jade - which was inspired by a photo of her in an elaborate costume for the otherwise-forgettable "Exit to Eden" looking Mara Jade-ish.