Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Superman: Man of Steel (2013)

Well, this is the second picture I've seen of Henry Cavill's Superman reboot. I really don't know how I feel about the look of it on a whole. However, to be fair, by comparison it does look better than Brandon Routh's costume which looks like someone on the production crew ran out to iParty to buy last minute.Even Cavill looks a bit more like Superman than Routh did. Cavill looks like he could kick your ass.

And it looks like at this point Christopher Nolan and company are going in the right direction with a Superman film than the previous debacle with Superman Returns. If they did a straight-out relaunch of the Superman movies rather than just a continuation of the Christopher Reeves films the movie might have been palatable.

Too many years had past between the last Christopher Reeves film and the Brandon Routh film. The character needed a fresh start and Superman Returns was more of the same.

And from all appearances at this time, it looks like Man of Steel might be that shot in the arm the series needs. Nolan had already done a really great job with the Batman series. So time will tell if he will have the same success with Supes that he did with Bats.

As for the costume. I really don't know. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the earlier picture I saw gave me some hope, this one brings me back to saying "no thanks".

What's up with the hair? He does look like the toughest guy in the hair salon though. I wish they'd get someone as Superman like George Reeves, a former boxer turned actor who looked like he could take a punch.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Sadly, I think the only way we'll ever get a Superman like George Reeves is if they somehow find a way to reanimate him. If he's been cremated we're out of luck ;-)

The hair does look silly. And greasy.