Some may scratch their heads until you say "theme from the Exorcist". But Mike Oldfields magnum opus TUBULAR BELLS is so much more than just those opening chords. There is so much more to this album which frightened the pants off of me when I was a child.
I came across this live recording Mike Oldfield did with a full band from 1973 for BBC Television. Basically, it was a live version of side one. It's really great to watch and listen to. Although, Oldfield primarily plays bass and acoustic guitar, he played practically EVERY intrustment on the original record. But that's very difficult to do live.
Oldfield did many other albums following this one. Two of them Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge were as good in their own right. Three of them he has recorded since 1992 were direct sequels to Tubular Bells and one of them in 2003 was a re-recording of the album. None of the Tubular Bells follow-ups were nearly as good as the original in my less than humble opinion.
If you like what you hear, I highly recommend you check out the original album. I own it on vinyl. Which I still feel is the only way to enjoy it. But if you don't own a record player, CD or download will do as well ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment