Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dream Project: Lost in Space


This will (probably) be the last stop in my short series of blogs of what I would I would like to do if I were given rights to do a television series based on the classic series LOST IN SPACE.

Although, the series always had that edge of campiness to it, the early episodes could be downright sinister and scary at time. In particular the character of Dr. Zachary Smith. 


The character started out as a complete bastard but kind of downgraded into more of a silly comedy relief who had a tendency of being naughty.

Although, I don't think the character should be played totally for laughs, I don't think the character should be a total villain either. Somewhere more along the lines of how the character was nearer the end of the first season would probably be the way I'd have Dr. Smith approached.

The character is a selfish coward looking out for his own best interest. But despite all that, and the rest of the crews initial dislike and distrust of Smith, the character of Will Robinson somehow sees something good in this silly self-centered man.

Much like who I had in mind for Barnabas Collins I really think actor David Hyde Pierce would be excellent in the role of Dr. Smith.

Although, another actor I think might be interesting in the role is BIG BANG THEORY star Jim Parsons. I haven't seen him much in dramatic roles (although Lost in Space isn't really necessarily a drama). I think he could pull a part like this off. But David Hyde Pierce would be my first choice.
Much like my previous blog on DARK SHADOWS, I think that the key to any successful revival is while it is always important to take any property in a new and exciting direction, it is also equally important to remember exactly WHAT made that show's original run a success.

Which is why many remakes fail. Two examples. Look at the remake of King Kong. Trying t be too innovative and exciting (not to mention Peter Jackson's habit of making his movies twenty-six hours long) made it fall flat on its face. Then on the other side of the coin, when they tried to do a remake of Psycho note for note, people just found themselves saying "What's the point? Why don't I just go watch the original?" which is pretty much what they did.

Again, I use the current series of Doctor Who as a prime example of a production team doing it right. When Russell T. Davies brought the show back in 2005, he moved the show forward with many of the modern trappings of fast-paced story-lines and special effects that a modern audience comes to expect.

However, he kept the core quality of the character of the Doctor the same as he had been in the series's classic run from 1963 to 1989.

But the current series of Doctor Who is a continuation of the original show rather than a reboot. But I think those qualities can still be used in a reboot of a series as well. Even the reboot of Star Trek didn't go out of its way to alienate the series's original audience. Although, I heard the last movie wasn't universally enjoyed by everyone, I think creating it as a parallel timeline was actually a smart move on the producers of the show.

I don't think parallel timelines are necessarily the way to go. But just remembering elements of what made the show successful while going in an exciting new direction with it can help in reviving a classic series.

Also to keep in mind, you're not trying to be better than the original. Just different.

No comments: