Monday, June 30, 2014

Quick Goon Show Character Sketch

A little something I sketched this morning for my British friends in mind. Many of my American friends might not be familiar with The Goon Show.

Then again, maybe some of you do. 

However, for the benefit of listeners who are not familiar with the Goons, it was comedy that ran on the radio from 1951 until 1960s which starred Peter Sellers, Harry Seacombe and Spike Milligan voicing various character. 

The show would later be revived in the 1960s as the Telegoons which featured marionette versions of the characters once again being voiced by Sellers, Seacombe and Milligan. I've wanted to try and do cartoon versions of the characters for some time. 

I did a quick sketch of Count Jim Moriarty and Hercules Grytpype-Thynne with Neddie Seagoon in the middle of them this morning. Moriarty, Grytpype-Thynne and Seagoon were all voiced by Milligan, Sellers and Seacombe respectively. 

Most of the episodes would consist of Grytpype-Thynne and Moriarty suckering the hopelessly hapless hero Neddie Seagoon into one of their schemes to swindle money. Which Neddie would be the inevitable fall guy.

I also took some reference for the look of the characters both from the Telegoons puppets and the Telegoons comic. I did a little revising on the character designs. Especially in the case of Neddie and Count Moriarty whom I imagined looking slightly different than the puppets or cartoon characters created.

Nothing fancy on this one. Just Micron Pens in my Pen Sketcher Sketchbook.

No comments: