Saturday, June 7, 2014

Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary Wolf

Apart from character names and the fact that cartoons interact with humans, the novel that would ultimately become the basis for the 1988 hit film WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT could be two entirely different stories. And neither of them are bad. Just different.

I don't blame the filmmakers for going in a different direction than what Gary Wolf originally set up. In the original story comic strip and comic book characters interact with human beings. The 'toons dialogue would appear as "speech balloons" over the characters heads. Also the novel takes place in contemporary times (1980 around the time the novel was written) whereas the film takes place during the golden age of animation of the 1940s.

Given the medium the filmmakers were working with, it seems understandable to me that they would prefer to have the story centered around animated cartoons rather than comic strips. Given the rich history of film animation and the fact that animation creates the illusion of movement, it just seems like the logical choice.

That and it was just the right time for something like that. By 1988 animation had really hit rock bottom. Most of the classic characters had almost been forgotten and replaced by cheap television animation with the only purpose of selling toys. There was a big controversy over that at the time, but that's a conversation for another day.

When Roger Rabbit hit the theatres it caused a stir. But in a good way. Suddenly people saw animation. Really good animation!! And suddenly all these great characters that were long since forgotten were suddenly being remembered again.

It kind of sparked the whole animation revival of the early 1990s.

So naturally when Roger Rabbit was finally released on DVD, I had to get a copy. I first saw it in the theatres. The thing is, not only was it really well made, but the story and the acting was really good too.

Sometimes that's the problem with a blockbuster. Its like a sandwich made on really nice bread. But there's nothing but mustard in between. And as Chico Marx once said, "Mustard's no good without roast beef."

And this movie had roast beef to spare.

But with all that said, I finally got around to reading the novel. Which I am actually enjoying. I wasn't sure how I would take to it. But its interesting. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a film of this version of Roger Rabbit.

However, I'm not sure if it would have had the lasting effect that the movie version had. Another example of just at the right place at the right time. And I'll be the first to say I hope they don't make a sequel. It'll never capture the magic quite like the original.

No comments: