As far as I'm concerned Andy Fish IS the Black Dandy and the Black Dandy IS Andy Fish. We created the character on a whim. Andy has this amazing pop culture knowledge and we both share a love for all things 1930/1940s.
I texted Andy back in (maybe) early 2010s asking if the crime noir masked vigilante the Spider was in the public domain. He regretted to inform me that the Spider wasn't. But suggested we create our own crime noir masked mystery man.
And the Black Dandy was born.
Andy's initial idea was we switch off on writing and art. He'd write a chapter and I'd draw it and visa versa. Kind of like the old television shows where a lead character would be sick (or fired) and the announcer would say "Tonight the part of thus and so will be played by"...
A couple of years ago, I decided to revive the Black Dandy in a brand new story. Much like the old movie serials featuring a character like The Green Hornet or Dick Tracy, I decided to have it very loosely connected to our story. That way people can read it as a stand alone.
Honestly, it was a fun experience for me to bring back the character. Using elements from The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in my choice of the sepia tones to elements from The Phantom Creeps. A favorite movie serial of Andy and mine.
The Black Dandy's arch nemesis Borov was based on the character our favorite ghoul Bela Lugosi portrayed in the Phantom Creeps.
In June Andy informed me he's fighting two different cancers. And I'll be honest, I'm not taking the news well. Andy's always been a fighter and he's no different now.
If any of you could do anything to help both Andy and his wife Veronica through his treatment and recovery, it would be greatly appreciated:
You can also get a copy of the Black Dandy with part one of the story Andy and I did right here:



No comments:
Post a Comment