I saw this on someone's Bluesky profile. But I promise this won't be angry old man yelling at cloud type blog post complaining about the rise of fan art at shows.
I started doing the convention circuit again regularly in 2022 or 2023. And the one thing I have noticed especially at comic conventions is young creators doing fan art prints, stickers, key chains and charms more and more and publishing their own original comic book stories less and less.
Again, this isn't a call to get rid of these creators who have dedicated themselves to selling fan art. But as someone who went to college for comic art and spent most of my career creating my own comics, part of me is sad to see less creators putting out their own stories.
But I would much rather see a balance at the show rather than it being overpopulated by one or another.
I do my share of pen and ink sketches and prints based off pop culture characters. But I also sell my own original books.
The other thing I've been seeing in the areas that are supposed to be designed for Artist Alley is tables selling 3D printed figures, scented candles and vendors selling used comics and licensed merch.
But some of that I wonder is due to less of the comic professionals doing the shows so the events are trying fill the spaces somehow with whoever signs up.
So, back in 2024, I signed up for Savannah Comic Con. I hadn't stepped foot in Savannah Georgia since I graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design.
And the convention itself turned out to be a disappointment saleswise. Which happens. But driving 15 hours and barely making gas money does sting.
However, the highlight of my trip was I got a chance to meet Dame Darcy. A comic artist whose work I admire greatly.
During the convention a young creator came up to my table and marveled at all the books I had on display. Which, to be honest, wasn't as many as I usually have. However...
They told me they would love to make their own comic but they don't think anyone would read it.
So I said to them that everybody has a story to tell and everybody has an audience for their story. I told them it doesn't have to be a superhero story. It could be a comic about their life. Find what interests them and write about it.
I did a small convention on the Cape (Cape Cod for those of you not from Massachusetts) and I saw a lot of young people putting out 'zines. Which as far as I'm concerned is great because they're telling their story. And it's an inexpensive way to do so and I encourage it.
I've wondered if the reason young creators have been leaning more towards fan art prints and merch more and more because print on demand can be pricey. Or they're complacent making a living just doing the convention circuit selling prints and inexpensive merch.
And some of that might be how many comic cons have been rebranded as fan expos and fan fest over time. The people attending may not necessarily read comics. So they're going for their audience. Many more willing to toss their money at an inexpensive sticker, key chain or charm rather than someone's graphic novel or comic book.
Just the nature of the beast.
But honestly. The whole point of doing the convention circuit is so you don't have to do the convention circuit as much. You either make connections or find your audience so people then search you out online to buy your work.
But you havd to do the leg work to get that audience.
Again, I don’t want to see these fan creators go away or get run out. But I would like to see a balance it's fair for both fan artists and people putting out original comics and artwork.







No comments:
Post a Comment