Another great collaboration I had the pleasure of working on was Welcome Home, Russell Edson with writer Joshua Michael Stewart and artist Aaron Krolikowski.
A fictional telling of the factual prose poet and illustrator Russell Edson coming back from the afterlife to attend a family dinner. And to inform the loved ones he left behind the afterlife isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I've known Josh since probably the second grade. On top of being an incredibly talented writer and prose post, he's also a very incredibly gifted musician and composer. We've been talking about doing a collaborative project for some time that would be a union between the prose poem and the graphic novel. And this was it.
Aaron I've known since my first year at SCAD. He's always been a wildly imaginative artist and performer doing everything from staging plays to forming Bonzo Dog style band.
With this project I had done the penciling, layout and added the gray tones and lettering digitally. Aaron has done the inking. I had always liked the Batman story The Untold Legend of the Batman and didn't know for years John Byrne did the pencils on issue one because Jim Aparos style is so distinctive that Byrne's own distinctive style gets lost in it.
I also got into some of Jules Feiffer graphic novels and loved his loose approach but couldn't achieve it myself. Aaron's own loose style was close to that, so I called upon him to join Josh and my artistic endeavor.
I'm very pleased with the results and am looking forward to my next collaboration with Josh and Aaron.
You can get your copy by clicking on the link right here. ๐
And you can learn more about Russell Edson here. ๐

No comments:
Post a Comment