Monday, December 28, 2009

Alice in Wonderland


Along with several other projects I'm either working on or getting started which includes the second Polly and Handgraves story, I've also thought about doing an adaptation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Doing some Alice inspired E-Bay art has definitely given me the itch.

I don't know if anyone has really done an adaptation of Alice that has remained true to how weird and unsettling Lewis Carroll's original tale was. There have been a few really good exceptions to the rules. But I've found most, including the Disney version, to be too bland and have really taken the teeth out of the original story.

Which is funny I say all this. Because as much of a purist as I tend to be when it comes to books and such, I am eager to see Tim Burton's take on Alice in Wonderland. Even though he is taking his own slant on Alice as he has done with many of his adaptations, it doesn't bother me too much because his movies tend to be very stylishly done. And he's not afraid of taking a risk with something even if it doesn't end up working as a whole.

Which is something I do respect.

And a few of the Alice in Wonderland comic books and graphic novels I've seen down at That's Entertainment basically borderline on fetishist. Borderline? Okay, who am I kidding. Alice is wearing a very short skirt and naughty underwear.

But I wouldn't mind taking a brave stab at it and create something that has all the strangeness I love about the old story with some of that family-friendly charm without it being so sugary that you might need a root canal after you've read it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seek out the Kyle Baker adaptation of Through the Looking Glass.

-J

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thanks J!! I will do that :-)

Nick Campbell said...

Three names for you: Jan Svankmajer, Tove Jansson and Mervyn Peake. And in that order. Alice illustration (and what's taken out and put it in) is tremendously interesting. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation - more so than Tim Burton's!

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thanks Nick!! The last name on that list I noticed immediately :-)

I'm hoping to get it started something in the upcoming year. I still have a few projects I need to get done in between. But I'm hoping to add that one to the list.