Thursday, December 23, 2010

Comics in Worcester Magazine


Image borrow from Andy Fish's blog

I won't hide the fact that this is somewhat a life long dream realized. Well, sort of. When I was a kid I wanted to be a comic stripper professionally when I grow up. A phrase coined by Berke Breathed in Bloom County. I loved the comics page and I looked forward to reading the comics every Sunday when I was over my Grandparents. I drew my own comic strips and even had my own long running character.

This was back in the days when comics like Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side ruled the newspaper. I did for a short time do a series of strips my last couple years of college for the student newspaper. But over time I ended up becoming more interested in comic books rather than comic strips.

However, I did try to submit my college strip to Creators Syndicate. And got flat out rejected.

So, when Andy Fish asked me to contribute to the upcoming issue of Worcester Magazine which will feature comics by some very talented friends of mine I immediately jumped at the chance. Each of them have created comics which capture a certain news story which took place right here in Worcester MA.

The artists include Andy Fish, Veronica Fish, Derek Ring, Adam Fish, Alison Cowell, Mike Briggs, JJB Buckmasker, Christopher Whitehead and myself.

It also features an artist new to me Aloysius Jones. He's someone Andy knows and quite frankly I like his work!! Reminds me a bit of John K. from Ren and Stimpy fame as well as classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

I don't think we've seen the last of Mr. Jones.

I also gave a very stumbling interview for a Behind the Cover video of the Comics issue. So, I apologize to everyone in advanced.

The issue is on newsstands now. And did I mention it's FREE!! You can also see smaller versions of the comics online by clicking the link below:

No comments: