
About a year or so ago (I think) I commented in this blog about thinking it was only a matter of time before they brought Bruce Wayne back. Characters very rarely stay dead in the DC Universe. And besides the fact it was later revealed that Bruce Wayne wasn't dead but thrown back in time. Or something along those lines.
But that's besides the point.
Around the time Bruce Wayne was missing, dead or both I had made a comment how much I was actually enjoying the Dick Grayson Batman in Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin series and if they were to eventually bring Bruce Wayne back I thought they should do like they have done with the Flash and Green Lantern and have Grayson remain Batman. Sort of the way Wally West has remained the Flash even though Barry Allen has returned.
As much as I doubt either Grant Morrison or the head honcho's at DC Comics read my blog religiously I was very pleased with the return of Bruce Wayne, my off the cuff blog comment seems to be coming to fruition.
Both Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson are now becoming dual Batmen the same way Barry Allen and Wally West have become the Flash. I figured it would be Wayne Batman teaming up with Tim Drake's Red Robin while Grayson remained a team with Damian Wayne's Robin.
Speaking of which, are Oliver Queen and Conner Hawke sharing Green Arrow duties? Oh, never mind ;-)
However Grant Morrison seems to be going a step further than I would have imagined by having Bruce Wayne pretty much turn Batman into a global franchise called Batman Incorporated! And to show the distinction between the two Batmen, they have once again given Wayne's Batman costume a different look as seen below.

One comment online mentioned it seems very inspired by the costume design for the Arkham Asylum game. To me it seems like a slight cross between the Arkham costume with the Christian Bale costume from the movies. But slightly lighter. Which kind of gives it a very James Bond international adventurer sort of look.
One blogger pretty much described Bruce Wayne's Batman pretty much becoming a cross between Nick Fury and Tony Stark.
I imagine the messageboards will start buzzing with debates, arguments and all out hockey style cage match fisticuffs's between people who either love the new look and the whole idea of a global Batman police force.
Personally, I don't mind the idea.
I don't see myself keeping up with the series. But the idea intrigues me and I may sneak a peek at a few issues when I'm nosing around my local comic book shop from time to time.
3 comments:
They never keep anyone dead, but there is no way iconic characters like Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent or Peter Parker will ever die, the comic companies make their monies off of merchandising and licensing-- not through comic sales.
To me it speaks of the lack of creativity that comes from a character being around for 70+ years when you resort to gimmicks, and this smacks of gimmick to me.
I'd prefer it to the dark psychotic Batman that has been portrayed recently-- I'm tired of that depiction-- and I don't even read the comics, so what the heck do I know?
Yanick Paquette, who is drawing "Batman Inc." is AMAZING, by the way...
I think you hit the nail right on the head Andy!! Personally, I found the Brave and the Bold Batman to be the most enjoyable out of any of the new comic stuff.
Post a Comment