Thursday, June 9, 2011

Uncanny X-Men coming to an end


Pretty much the series that started Marvel's whole X-Men franchise back in 1963 which spawned such series as X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X and Jim Lee's own title... umm... X-Men is coming to an end at issue 544 this October.

To be honest I'm not surprised and I wouldn't be surprised if more books started to follow suit. I don't follow series. And if I do want to catch up on a particular story arc I just pick up the trade paperback.

I still think graphic novels are the future for comics. Artists and writers get the opportunity to tell more of the story they like. And a great many times like in the case of New Frontier or Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil, these artists and writers are given the opportunity to operate outside the normal continuity of these characters.

Not all these books turn out great but it does give writers that chance to work with the characters the way they want to.

And to be honest, with all the means out there to publish your own book (i.e. Lulu or Ka-Blam) as well as many indie companies who still have opened submissions I think it makes trying to submit your work to a big company less tantilizing.

With that said, if you get the opportunity to work for Marvel or DC go for it!!

Who knows. Maybe the big two are starting to get the feeling that comic book series are finally on the way out and the only way to stay in the game is graphic novels.

Or they're just going to bring Uncanny X-Men back in a years time. Like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Non-Clone Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Wolverine's claws (I think) and... the Marvel Comics Captain Marvel?

Did they bring him back? Or is he still dead?

I don't mind if you ferociously disagree with me. But I think the series style of comic books is dead. However, this might mean more ongoging and serialized graphic novels. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: