Thursday, July 28, 2011

My newfound love for Vegemite...


As I mentioned in my blog yesterday Sydney and I have discovered Vegemite for the first time while spending a weekend up in Franconia New Hampshire. Yeah of all places. You would think it would be while on holiday in Australia I would discover it. Well, my Dad's aunt was from Australia and three of his cousins spent time in a boarding school in Australia. So, naturally with a From a Land Down Under type upbringing Vegemite would be part of one's diet.

Syd and I had it for breakfast the mornings we spent up there and loved it.

As a matter of fact we became downright addicted to the savory spread. So last Saturday we took a trip up to a place called the Cheese Shop in Concord Massachusetts and bought ourselves a small jar of Vegemite. And she's been having it with her cheese sandwiches for lunch while I've been having it on toast with my breakfast.

We also noticed that the Cheese Shop also sells Marmite. It's British older cousin. Which we may have to try on our next trip up to Concord.

But if you are familiar with the Men Without Hats song and are curious what a "Vegemite Sandwich" tastes like I highly recommend you give it a try. Be warned at first taste it's a bit on the strong side. But it really grows on you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that someone found use for vegetate other than as poison control to induce vomiting.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Well, I did say it takes some getting used to. I never promised it wouldn't be poisonous ;-)

Anonymous said...

Spell checker auto changed that to vegetate. I don't know if that's a worse name or not. :)

Bret M. Herholz said...

That almost sounds like something you give children when they're misbehaving.