Friday, April 20, 2012

India Cafe you let me down... again!

India Cafe in Shrewsbury MA used to be a place I would recommend to every body.

Now I don't think I would recommend it to anyone.  And I'm sad to say this isn't the first time I've gone in there and got really bad service. But at least the first time we actually got our meals. Eventually. But we still got fed.

Like I said, I used to love going to India Cafe. The prices were reasonable and the food was excellent. Probably the best Lamb Curry I have ever had.

I decided to surprise Syd and take her out for dinner. We had both considered going to the India Cafe for our one year wedding anniversary but we had both mentioned having a hankering for Indian Food for a couple weeks now so we decided "Why not?" and headed out to India Cafe right after we got home to freshen up.

To be honest I'm glad we DID go there that night because I know exactly where we WON'T go for our anniversary.

When we get there there's probably only two or maybe three customers in the whole store. We sat down and are given menu's. We make up our minds and wait for someone to come over to take our order. A few minutes pass and no one has even come over to take a drink order. And the water we were served is terrible.

So Syd and I chat for a little bit trying to give this place the benefit of the doubt. In my mind I'm begging that they don't let me down again. Syd's timing it on her cell phone. I happen to see one of the wait staff walking by. I know I made eye contact with him but he doesn't come over.

Now we're starting to get annoyed.

FIFTEEN MINUTES PASS!! Syd finally looks down at her cellphone and quietly says to me "Okay, we're done!" I nod and we both get up and leave.
In the car we both agree this was the last time we are going to India Cafe. The mere fact that they didn't seem to take notice us getting up and leaving seemed a bit hard to believe seeing that we were the only people in the restaurant. If I were to make a judgement call, it just seemed like they really didn't want to serve us. It just seemed like they didn't want us to be in there whatsoever.

And judging by the lack of patrons in the restaurant, I'm not even sure if they want to stay in business.
If the place was busy then I might be more forgiving. Maybe. But there wasn't ANYONE there by the time we decided we had enough!! This was just poor service.

So we decided to go to Bauhinia's instead. Which I think in less than a half hour from when we left India Cafe it seemed like we were given our drinks and our order was taken within seconds we were seated. And the only reason it took a little longer to take our order had nothing to do with the wait staff. We just couldn't decide what we wanted.

Ever since The Chef of India (which I loved and miss) across the road became the Bollywood Grill, India Cafe has been my place to go for my fix for Indian cuisine. It was just really good and really affordable. I don't know if India Cafe under new management or what. But ever since they went under renovations it has not been the same place I used to enjoy several years ago. Which is a shame because the renovations they made were decent.

However, after the way we were treated we have given up on the India Cafe and that will be our last trip there. And that's disappointing.

No comments: