Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Anniversary weekend in Mystic, CT... and NO! We didn't eat at Mystic Pizza!

It's hard to believe that already a year has passed since Syd and I exchanged vows and walked down the aisle together. I suppose there is the urge to return to the place where you went on your honeymoon to relive all the fun and happy memories you had as newlyweds. In our case, Newport RI had been a great deal of fun which included checking out the Summer "cottages" of the rich and famous, sailing tours of the harbor and whizzing around downtown Newport in a snazzy Scooter Car.

Although, that was all great we decided it might be a lot more fun to go somewhere neither of us had ever gone before for our one year anniversary. So, we decided after a quick trip to Gillette Castle we would spend the night in Mystic, CT.

Syd had never been to Gillette Castle and was really taken aback by the place. I really don't feel like I appreciated the spacious home of really the first actor to become the face of Sherlock Holmes long before Basil Rathbone.

I have begun to wonder if I have a distant relation somewhere in my past that was a sea captain. Because I always feel very much at peace when I'm down by the sea. Although, Mystic is not as vast as Newport we had a really wonderful weekend. And I got to sample a couple of really good local beers with the Mystic Bridge India Pale Ale at a restaurant that specialized in oysters. Had a really nice Oyster Grinder mind you. And a Lobster Red Ale at the Mystic Seaport Museum.

The nicest part was last night we had decided to go somewhere very fancy for dinner Sunday Night at a nice little restaurant called Latitude 41. We decided to get a table outside and enjoy the evening by the water. There was also a really big wedding going on that night so service was very slow.

But we had no intention of making a big stink out of the slow service. It had been a perfect day and we were going to make the best of it. Apparently, they had screwed up Syd's drink order first. They were out of whatever she ordered so she had to order another drink. And then we find out the kitchen screwed up our order which had not even been place.

I think what helped us is we didn't act like a couple of jerks. We just sat there, chatted and made the best out of the evening. It wasn't like India Cafe where we were the only customers but service stunk. This place was super busy. We were just happy to get a table.

Well, not only was our waitress very apologetic but we also had the manager come out and apologize for the bad service not making any excuses for it.

And because we were very nice and understanding towards their situation WE GOT WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A $60 (plus tip) MEAL FOR FREE!

Actually, Syd decided that we should tip the waitress. She had been very nice and very apologetic the entire time. So, we got a $60 meal for $12.06!!

I would highly recommend Latitude 41 for anyone staying or taking a day trip to Mystic. The place is a total class act.

I was able to give Syd's anniverary gift while we were having our drinks. Unfortunately, her gift to made had not arrived. She had got me a vintage 1950 typewriter. Non electric. AND it works!! But she had planned on giving it to me before we left. Something like that is very hard to hide naturally.

But all in all, the entire weekend made for a nice little vacation away from home and a nice anniversary. And we didn't go to Mystic Pizza!

No comments: