Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bad film! Bad bad film! Go to your room!!

The Master doesn't approve of plots, editing and good acting...
Once again I am showing my film appreciation class MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE. The reason for this is so the students have a better understanding between a film that's "not their thing" and a really, really bad movie.

Most of the reports I have received on the films we watched is they didn't enjoy it because it was either black and white or silent. Which more fall under the catagory of films that are "not their thing" rather than bad films.

So I decided to show them Manos. I also gave them a list of mental check marks they should be making while they are watching this film and even as they're watching any film after this one:

A.) Can you follow the plot? Is the story easy to understand?
B.) Is the film edited well? Sound editing. Can you understand what the actors are saying? Does the incidental music fit the movie?
C.) Is it well acted?
D.) Entertainment. Are you being entertained/engaged? Does the movie grab your attention from start to finish.

Manos has none of these. It is a complete and utter train-wreck. Even worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space which at least ticks off two or three of the things mentioned above.

Which makes it the ideal bad film to watch. Manos is a confusing bore from start to finish. The plot is confusing. You're never quite sure if Manos is the Master character (pictured above) or some demigod the Master worships. You have characters that show up throughout the movie that really don't move the plot along... a plot as I mentioned that really doesn't exist. Not to mention this is supposed to be a horror film and the soundtrack, as one of my students so aptly put, sound like "happy music".

Manos is a bad film. Is it the worst film ever made? I'm not sure. There might be film that sink lower than Manos. I can't imagine how. But I'm sure there are.

But in the end, my hope is seeing this film will make my class a bit more selective with their opinions on what makes a good film and what makes a bad film.

Although, I might tell them if they don't behave I'll show them Manos again ;-)

No comments: