Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse


It was one of the P.G. Wodehouse books sitting on my bookshelf that I've both been meaning to read and trying to read for the longest time. I'm glad I finally decided to sit down and read it. I really love P.G. Wodehouse's humor. It's so light hearted and carefree.

Basically, his work is like watching a situation comedy with brains.

It also kind of disappoints me that like his book Laughing Gas, they have never adapted The Adventures of Sally for television or film the way they have adapted works like Piccadilly Jim, Heavy Weather, Blanding Castle and of course Jeeves and Wooster who have been played by Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, Ian Carmichael and Dennis Price and David Niven and Arthur Treacher.

There was even a musical of Jeeves and Wooster by Andrew Lloyd Webber By Jeeves! which featured Jeeves and a banjo playing Bertie Wooster.

Yeah, I haven't seen that one either.

But it's a pity that The Adventures of Sally have not found it's way to becoming a screen adaptation. I'm finding it to be a very funny and enjoyable read.

2 comments:

Walt said...

Since you mention it let me give my endorsement of the soundtrack to "By Jeeves." Clever lyrics by Alan Ayckbourn and the music, by that Lloyd Webber fellow, is fun.
There are a couple of versions of it floating around and I hear it matters which you get. I followed the votes on Amazon and somehow found a good one.
Hard to find but worth it, if you like that sort of thing.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I ended up finding mine at a used bookstore around where I live. It was one from the Penquin series with the covers by Ionicus.