
For all of you who know me, the one thing I live for when it comes to television is DOCTOR WHO!! My video collection got me through college and I've been hooked on the new series ever since Christopher Eccleston first said "RUN!" in 2005. David Tennant became one of my favorite Doctors. Definitely right up there with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as far as I was concerned. For me he had the right mix of the Tom Baker's unpredictability, Peter Davison's chumminess, Colin Baker's anger and Sylvester McCoy's dark mysteriousness. Not to mention I really liked the combination of the suit, long jacket and trainers that really echoed his previous incarnations.
The funny thing is I started out a little skeptical of Tennant as the Doctor but he won me over and I don't think anyone else could have carried the series the way he did.
Which now I feel the same way about Matt Smith.

To be honest the choice kind of surprised me. Mostly because the way Steven Moffat was talking the next Doctor was going to be an actor over 40 and odd looking. Which I can understand. Many of the actors who had played Doctor Who like Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker or Sylvester McCoy were not pretty boys. Seeing that the Doctor started out as a Grandfather, Doctor Who had never gone historically for sex appeal when it came to their lead actor.
And I'm sure a lot of you, much like myself, are probably saying "Who the HELL is Matt Smith". But then again, there have been a couple of unknown actors like Tom Baker or Sylvester McCoy who were virtual unknowns and did an excellent job in the role. And Tom Baker is still considered to be one of the best Doctor in the shows history. Although, there have been people who feel David Tennant has eclipsed his popularity. And that's not a bad thing. It just means people like the show again. Nevertheless, Tom Baker casts a pretty long shadow.
I have to admit Matt Smith does have an interesting quality to his face. I suppose sort of a David Bowie/Jarvis Cocker appearance. That Ziggy Stardust/Thin White Duke definitely gives him potential to be good for the role.
But since I've never seen anything with him in it, I guess much like all the rest of you Whovians out there, I'll just have to look forward to seeing the Tenth Doctor regenerate into the Eleventh.
No comments:
Post a Comment