Friday, January 9, 2009

Projects on the horizon


I started work on my next project as I continue to prepare Sherlock Holmes for publication. It's actually one I started a while back but had to put it on the shelf while I devoted my time to finishing up Sherlock Holmes.

The next one I've been planning with my friend, writer and editor of the Big Toe Review Joshua Michael Stewart. We had discussed the possibility of creating a graphic novel based on his poems. Even though the poems are all self contained stories, we had decided on loosely creating them into one ongoing narrative which all take place in this small town and the characters in these poems become the characters in this town.

We kind of had a trial run with the idea when I did a five page short story based on his poem O Come All Ye Faithful which ended up in both Detours for the Undercoverfish Group and my own book Confessions of a Peculiar Boy... And Other Stories. I was also experimenting with the ideas by seeing how my work would look with less line and grays. It wasn't that successful. Not Rori's fault who did a great job with the grays, but my own work seems to lose something with less details.

But I was satisfied with the way the poem adapted to a short story format. Josh's poems read like little stories anyways, so his words and my art seemed a very ideal union.

O Come All Ye Faithful will be a part of our book as well. It's one of my favorite poems of Josh's.

After I've completed that project, I'm toying with an idea of doing an 80 page graphic novel completely devoid of dialogue. Possibly a murder mystery mixed with a little factual history.

This project would be in honor of my friend and mentor Patrick W. Welch who did a series of post cards called the Hippogryph Files which had absolutely no words in it and you had to figure out the story from the pictures.

I had Patrick sign one of the cards for me from the series when I was still in college down in Savannah :-)

But I have to think a plotline through and write a script before I dive into this.

No comments: