
Well for the past month or so I've been preparing to submit Sherlock Holmes and the Painful Predicament of Alice Faulkner to the Xeric Foundation to be considered for a grant.
I had learned about Xeric from my buddy, Art Museum cohort and Undercoverfish chairman of the board Andy Fish from his blog. I was intrigued and thought perhaps it would time to take a risk on something like that. I've been very happy with my association with both UCF and Alterna Comics. So, it's nothing to do with being disgruntled. But I had not really taken a chance and possibly taking advantage of what Xeric has to offer with funding my book.
I suppose if the truth is to be told, I had been licking my wounds after Diary of the Black Widow was rejected by Fantagraphics. But that was four or five years ago now and apart from doing short stories with UCF, I did not have a graphic novel published. To be completely honest, as much as I would have like to make like things like that didn't phase me back then, being that I was still struggling to be recognized it did hurt me a lot more than I would have wanted to admit to myself.
But not nearly as bad as it did when I first started sending my work out back in 1999. I was frustrated back then because I didn't really have a direction for my work or a style I was really happy with. And I turned my back on comic art for the longest time until I was invited by Andy to be a part of his group. From there, I started appreciating comic art and being part of a diverse group of artists that not only supports you but tries to build you up and push you to do more with your work.
It's been four years and four (going on six) books since that rejection. It's been a great deal of fun being on the ground floor of a new company with Alterna that is putting out some quality books as well as continuing to be a part of UCF and being associated with such a talented group of artists that I am very happy to call my friends.
But I have not taken a risk like Xeric before. Honestly, I can't say I'm too worried. I did all I could with the submission and now that it is in the mail it is out of my hands.
If I get the grant, that would be great!! I will be doing the Charleston on a flagpole.
Well, maybe not. I will be thrilled nonetheless.
The fact of the matter is if I don't try I know I'll regret it. The worst that will happen is I wasted $60 in making copies and another $10 in shipping it off to Xeric. I have a drawer full of rejections which I plan on either wallpapering my room or making a quilt out of someday.
But despite anything that happens, I'm happy I took a chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment