Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Doctor Watson short list...


IAN HART has already played Doctor John H. Watson(as well as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) in a couple of Sherlock Holmes productions and in my opinion has been the only actor since either David Burke or Edward Hardwicke who did a really great job in the role.


ROBERT PORTAL is another choice. I've only really seen him in the movie Stiff Upper Lips but I really enjoyed his upper class twit in that movie. I think he'd make a really good Watson.


PAUL McGANN would be good as either Holmes or Watson honestly. Although, I suppose it would be kind of strange pairing him with Withnail and I costar Richard E. Grant. But I think he'd bring a really good emotion to the role.


GARY OLDMAN has that same type of emotion like Paul McGann which I think would really be good in the role of Watson.

6 comments:

doczauthor said...

And what do you think of Jude Law as Watson?

Bret M. Herholz said...

Honestly, I thought he looked more like Holmes than Robert Downey Jr. did. But I don't think it's that bad of casting since I like Jude.

doczauthor said...

Yeah, Downey Jr. is definitely playing against type. Not that that's a bad thing.

My personal favorite Watson is likely Andrew Sachs, currently playing the role opposite Clive Merrison on the BBC. Michael Williams was great in the role, but I always found his voice so similar to Merrison that it was distracting.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I remember reading Andrew Sachs was playing Holmes somewhere.

I have a few of the Clive Merrison radio plays and I really enjoy them.

Actually, Andrew Sachs was one of the people I thought of who would make a really good Lestrade.

doczauthor said...

Have you ever seen the Russian Sherlock Holmes series? Vitali Solomin plays Watson in there, and he's very, very good. The right age, handsome, and he plays Watson as an intelligent, dignified gent and not a Nigel Bruce style duffer. Recommended.

Bret M. Herholz said...

I saw one of them. It's really interesting seeing Holmes speaking in Russian. I found both the actors playing Holmes and Watson were excellent. Really well done production!!