
I remember the roommate I got stuck with my very first year at SCAD telling me that a Professor of his encourage having at least one drink while working on a project. There are even events called Drink and Draws which encourage artists to draw while getting lubed during the course of the evening.
While I (sort of) admire my fellow artists out there who have the focus to draw while consuming a Pabst Blue Ribbon or two I just cannot do it. Even one beer and my focus starts to falter. I've tried it on several occasions and it's just not a winning combination for me. I usually like having a beer and relaxing. Once I have one, the brain gets fuzzy and I really just want to chill out and relax.
I'm your classic One Beer Wuss. I admit it. I've come to accept it and I'm a better person to do so.
Besides, my partying hard days are happily far behind me.
And this coming Halloween night I will be illustrating while Susurrus Din recites poems out of Gloomy Presentiments of Things to Come. While I'm working I won't be allowing myself a drink to keep a clear head while I draw.
I've also instructed my wife to keep me honest during the proceeding.
So if I happen to refuse your kind offer of buying me a drink at the beginning of the evening, please don't take offense. I just want to remained focused so the piece people bid on looks great.
I will gladly accept your kindness when the piece is finished.
And if you happen to be in the area on All Hallows Eve starting at 9:30PM, stop on down at Ralph's Diner on 148 Grove St in Worcester MA for the Dirty Gerund Poetry Show.
Fancy dress and costumes are highly encouraged.
2 comments:
I have said before that we should just combine the Drink and Draw activity with 24-hour comic book day. heh heh.
It would only end in tears... and possibly vomit ;-)
Post a Comment