Yesterday marked the 84th Birthday of Mr. Adam West.
Although Adam West is not the first person to don that famous cape and cowl. That honor goes to Lewis Wilson who portrayed Batman in the 1943 for Columbia. It goes without saying that West is the first actor to make a live action version of the character a success.
He's pretty much to Batman what Basil Rathbone is to Sherlock Holmes. You cannot think of the character without immediately connecting their names to it.
Although his campy Andy Warholesque take has drawn some ridicule from some fans who feel the character should always be dark and not played for laughs. I even heard one over-zealous fan at a convention refer to Adam West's portrayal as a travesty.
I do not agree with that outlook.
Personally, I enjoy Adam West's take on the Caped Crusader and I think there's a place for his Batman just as much as there's a place for either Michael Keaton or Christian Bale's take on the character.
Funny to think an television commercial for Nestle Quik is what won him the part.
Adam West has had many roles before and after Batman. In recent years, he's introduced himself to a new generation of fans as the eccentric Mayor West on the animated series Family Guy.
Happy Birthday Adam West!! Still my favorite Batman to date!!

No comments:
Post a Comment