Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Summer Vacation...

I was back at the Worcester Art Museum this year for their Summer program. It's kind of split differently for me this year since I'm teaching the first two weeks and I'm not back again until the first week of the second session in August.

However, I got the change to teach a Comic Book Anthology class I had taught a few times in the past called WAM Comics. Occassionally in the past it has been called Comic Book Anthology or something along this line. But the last couple of times I think it's just gone under the moniker of WAM Comics.

It was something actually started by Mark Lynch, who taught cartooning classes as the Worcester Art Museum when I was there. Mark also hosts a Sunday night show on WICN called INQUIRY. Where he talks to an impressive multitude of guests. I've even been on Mark's show on a number of occassions. It's great fun!!

He produced the book very much the old fashioned way of physical cut and paste. Which I did for the first couple of issues.

When I did the class this year, I decided to take advantage of the technology we have nowadays and go the digital route and actually publish the book online.

There have been a number of WAM Comics before this one. But I don't know where this one would fall numerically. So I decided since I'm going a different route for this book, this would be Volume One of the digitally published series.

I also decided to set up a goal and deadline for the students. It was quite simple. They had seven days to finish their pages up in. The minimum amount of pages I would allow would be between five to ten pages. The last two days would be filled with me doing a demonstration how they would digitally cut and paste their work together and the steps to uploading their book online to have it published.

If they met both the deadline and the minimum requirement their comic would be published in the anthology and they would receive a free copy of it.

It was a small class but most took the challenge admirably. And for those who chose to goof off the seven days, they missed out.

The main statement I wanted to convey over that week was that they're never too young to get their work out there. All it takes is dedication and time. And what I had hoped by giving them a physical copy of their work was that they will leave my class and have a desire to publish their own work.

Proceeds made from the sales of the book will go to the Metrowest Humane Society. A place where my wife Syd adopted our cat Ruben. Click on the link below to order your copy today:

No comments: