Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Christmas Carol

I decided to finally sit down and read A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens this year. I'll be honest. I've never actually read the book. I've seen a number of adaptations including the exceptional musical SCROOGE starring Albert Finney and Sir Alec Guinness (pictured above). But I have never read the book itself.

So I thought since we're into the Christmas season, no time like the present. It took a little bit of time to get used to Dickens writing style. It's a different approach to modern writing. But so far I'm enjoying the story itself.

Even though it's a tale that has been subject to countless adaptations, I've considered doing my own version of it from time to time.

The problem I've had with many versions is they really underplay the really spooky elements of what is a really good ghost story and make it too drippy and overly sentimental.

Or in the case of the animated version voiced by Jim Carrey (known for his over-acting), bastardizing the story completely.

The only movie that came at all close was 1970 version I mentioned with Finney and Guinness. There were scenes of genuine horror.

The whole idea of the story was to scare Scrooge into seeing what his life will become if he continues on the path he has chosen. I think this could be achieved with an equal balance of warmth and horor.

No comments: