Tuesday, December 3, 2013

American Hustle

You've probably seen the trailers for it on television starring Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence and several other actors I either don't know or are indifferent towards. However, did you know that parts of the movie were infact filmed right here in downtown Worcester Massachusetts.

Some of those scenes were filmed in Worcester's very own Nick's Bar and Restaurant. As seen above. Nick's was renamed The Barons in the movie. Which I don't think it was Nick's original name. Actually, there WAS a bar named The Red Baron on Main Street right across the street from where the Hanover Theater resides now. But Nick's never was.

Actually, if you know the name of the Bar Nick's used to be, feel free to post it in this blog.

However, if you happen to go out and see American Hustle in theatres (I probably won't) then keep your eyes peeled for the bar pictured below.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And an even greater deal of it was filmed at WAM.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Really?? I saw the pictures of Main Street littered with 1970's style taxi's. I didn't realize WAM had been utilized as well.

Travis Simpkins said...

"Stoney O'Briens" was the bar that had been there for many years before it was sold and became "Nick's". It looked very different inside then. Vincent and Nicole did a great job restoring the interior. Before it was a bar/residential building, I think it was a shoe factory.
The scenes filmed at WAM were pretty much confined to the European Galleries. It was a short shoot, they were gone by lunch time. Our "Saint Bartholomew" by Rembrandt should have a starring role, however. Many close-ups were shot. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper were at WAM, but I didn't see any other famous cast members.
After they shot at WAM, they moved across the way to film at the old Worcester Memorial Auditorium.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Thank you Travis!! Sadly I don't have a prize for the winning answer. But I've been trying to think for the life of me what the name was ;-)