Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Boston Donuts

I discovered Boston Donut three or four years ago. At the time it was going by the name Gourmet Donuts. I'm not sure why they changed the name to Boston seeing that they are located right smack dab in the heart of Worcester on Park Avenue. But they did. And thankfully the quality hasn't changed with the name.

I suppose what amused and intrigued me when I first saw it was 1.) It was doing business out of an old Dunkin Donuts and 2.) They were using a very similar font as Dunkin for their sign.

It surprised me that they didn't get into hot water over that. But maybe that's why the name changed. Dunkin might have seen it as a jab inferring that the donuts at this little shop are considered gourmet over Dunkin's. Boston is a bit more innocuous.

Still, the truth hurts Dunkin' ;-) Well, anyways...

I always prefer to have my cup of coffee at home in the morning but I haven't had time to brew a pot of late. So, remembering how great my last visit to Boston Donut was, I decided to reconnect.

Not wanting to stop at either Dunkin' or Starbucks, I went out of my way to Boston Donut get a cup of hot French Vanilla Coffee to have on my drive into work. French Vanilla is one of my favorites in the morning next to good old fashioned regular coffee.

There was enough of a crowd there that made me have to park in the Walgreen's parking lot next door. I began to worry I was going to be standing in line for an eternity to get my cup of Joe.

Not the case. I stepped inside and the two women working behind the counter were efficient at an almost inhuman pace. I mean it!! One moment I'm three or four people behind them. The next I'm standing outside holding a hot cup of coffee wondering if I just stepped into a wormhole and traveled five seconds into the future.

I'm not sure if I even paid for the coffee it happened so quick.

But I know for a fact fast doesn't always equal good. A McDonald's burger is fast. But it is far from being good. As impressive as the service of these two women were, if this coffee didn't taste good, I would be very disappointed.

My fears were quelled when I took a sip. It was just as good as I remembered it to be. I was impressed. The fact that they could move the line along and still maintain a level of quality to the coffee was very admirable. I was driving along enjoying a great cup of coffee while other people were probably still sitting in the drive-thru at Dunkin's.

I've seen the drive-thru at Dunkin's first hand. It never moves along. You'll be lucky you don't age like the villain from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade while you wait for your coffee.

I think if they put these two women in charge of the drive-thru not only would the line move along, but I think the coffee's quality would improve.

Maybe not.

I'm still not sure how Boston's donut's and breakfast sandwiches are. Sydney says the donuts are pretty good. And she's one that swears by Dunkin's. As for the breakfast sandwiches. I couldn't tell you.

All I can tell you is the coffee's great!!

I've also heard great things about Dippin' Donuts and Gonuts 4 Donuts (located on 517 Park Ave in Worcester. I'm not sure if their name has changed again too) from some very reliable sources and I may have to try both at some time. But it's going to be very hard to tear me from Boston Donut. They managed to drag me back in.

I highly recommend all my Woo-Town friends to take a break from your Dunkin routine and try Boston, Dippin' or Gonuts. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised by trying something new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GoNuts has GOne Bad. Stay away.

The breakfast sandwiches at Boston are good, and nearly as fast as the coffee. Once I stumbled out of there having experienced the same super service you did a realized I DIDN'T pay for my order, unfortunately I was already halfway home when I figured it out.

I tried to explain it to them the next time I was in but they didn't seem to understand.

The only downside here is the Iced Coffee--which is just too sweet even with no sugar. It's almost like a desert but you might like it if you're digging the Vanilla joe.

Dippin' still rules the Big Woo coffee market as far as I'm concerned, but their breakfast sandwiches are nearly inedible because they aren't cooked enough.

Boston is a good alternative, but the parking is horrendous and Walgreens will tow you.

Bret M. Herholz said...

Yeah, the parking is the only problem I could see with Boston is the parking. I think if it wasn't for the Nascar speed of the two ladies behind the counter I probably would have been towed ;-)

I am going to have to try Dippin' next.