Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Elisabeth Sladen


Those who know me very well know I have been a huge fan of Doctor Who for a long time now. And my favorite companion has always been Sarah Jane Smith played by Elisabeth Sladen who first appeared alongside the Third Doctor played by Jon Pertwee and later with the Fourth Doctor played by Tom Baker.

I always got the sense watching the episodes that her character seemed to have more of a connection with Tom Baker. There was this real best friends/school chums type of camaraderie between the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane and you got the impression that the two were good friends off camera as well.

I was very shocked and saddened to find out that Elisabeth Sladen passed away today at 63 from a long battle with cancer. Much like many people I didn't even know she was sick. Which almost seems inconceivable nowadays where it seems like every small shred of information is telegraphed all over the web. Especially when you're in the public eye.

However, I feel like a serious illness should be a private matter for the families going through it and shouldn't be telegraphed all over the web.

I'll miss Elisabeth Sladen. I am glad she did get the opportunity to not only return to the role she made famous in 1973 but also perhaps have bigger success than when she left it.

In the words of Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor: "Till we meet again, Sarah."

No comments: