Its hard to imagine the Dynamic Duo being played by anyone else other than Adam West and Burt Ward (seen above) in the 1966 television series BATMAN. However, that could have possibly been the case and we could have seen the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder being portrayed by Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell.
I think it was the ABC execs to cast Adam West in the role of Batman based on his performance as Captain Quik in the Nestle Quik commercials they thought he was the ideal choice for the role. However, it was standard practice to create an another screen test.
Enter Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell.
Looking at Waggoner's performance, I think the series would definitely go in a different direction than the fun and campy pop art explosion we have come to know it as today.
In the end, and with all due respect to either Waggoner or Deyell, the producers made the right choice with West and Ward. Despite some Batfans out there who consider Adam West to be an insult an an abomination to the name of Batman (and yes. I've heard a fan use almost those exact words), I still think Adam West is the BEST actor to ever play the role.
For me. Adam West IS Batman.
Period!

No comments:
Post a Comment